Intersection of Main Street and Wattaquadock Hill Road. Elapsed time between photos, approximately 107 years.
The private residence on the left in both photos is the Caleb Wheeler, Jr. house, c. 1815. Wheeler was an influential town leader of the time. He led the militia formed to escort the Marquis de Lafayette while Lafayette was in Bolton in 1824. The house is remarkably well preserved and features restored stenciling attributed to Moses Eaton, Jr. Also visible, the “Old Brick Store” a/k/a The Cracker Barrell, c. 1827. It was Bolton’s largest general store (and liquor store) until the middle of the 20th century when it was converted to a real estate office and apartments. Information is from the Historical Properties Survey of the Town of Bolton, available at the library. More information is also available here.