A small historic moment occurred this morning when Police Chief Vin Alfano, in “civvies” on moving day, picked up a few remaining items from his office in the Houghton Building on Main Street. An era came to a close at the familiar old building.
Today the Bolton Police Department officially began operations from its new home at the recently dedicated Public Safety Building on Wattaquadock Hill Road. The department had been operating out of the 1849 Houghton Building, its first and only home, since 1971. Prior to that, officers were dispatched from their homes or cars. It is believed that until today the town had the distinction of having the oldest dedicated police building in Massachusetts.
The new Public Safety Building houses police, fire, emergency medical services, and a state-of-the-art dispatch center. No decision has been made regarding a future use for the Houghton Building.